Saturday, January 29, 2011

Technology advancement showed Aero the door


When I bought my Compaq Contura Aero 486 I was full of pride, for it was such a handy little thing. with 4 MB Ram and 170 MB HDD, it was cool, I was using Wordperfect 5.1 for Wordprocessing, Lotus 123 for spreadsheet and Harvard Graphics for presentation. Nicely compact, I used to carry it with me whenever I went.
With the hardware limitations that it had, I could only install Microsoft Windows 3.1 Operating System. That OS was running with DOS in the background. Then I got a break: a niece of mine living in Washington DC was coming over to Tanzania. I promptly searched (with Alta Vista, those days Google was unheard of, not yet born!)and located a store that sold stuff online. I requested her to buy me a 16 MB module that would bring RAM to 20 MB. It meant I would be able to install windows 95, no less. The "thingy", as we would refer the memory module, arrived instact, costing about $75, a Kingston KTC-Aero/16.


By and by, tek revolution took place, I acquired a pentium, but i still kept the Aero.
Recently going through some stuff i hadn't touched for years, I re-discovered the Aero. I uttered a yelp of joy, retrieved it, placed it on a desk and opened it. Mmmh! The liquid--or whatever the LCD screen is made up of--had kind of flowed out and the otherwise nicely turgid screen was shapeless like a bad shrinkwrap. I shut it and dropped it in the trashbasket. But wait, I told myself: the hard disk may still contain some data, and the memory module might be of use to someone somewhere.
Bye, tough little hero, I told it, you did quite a job during your heydays.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Do you want to sell the memory module,te Kingston KTC-AERO/16?