Friday, October 31, 2008

Mech Eng University of Dar-es-Salaam class of 86



Came across this precious print I'd scanned sometime back and all but forgotten about it. I am sharing it with the World. At that time I was six and twenty years of age, and no-one would have told me there would be time when I'd shave off my Afro, liked it so.

This picture was taken at the Silversands Hotel where the class had gone to hold a party just after finishing the final university exams. Every person on this day had something on his mind, because the results were not out yet, but they would be in the course of a day or two.

Anyways there was a happy ending, we all passed, no-one repeated a year, no-one was discontinued. As was almost habitual in those days, Mechanical class was all men, although no law barred women from choosing Mech Eng.

I guess what threw a scare to most of them was the story of grinding hard work of design class where sometimes we would spend the whole night standing on drawing boards working frantically for design visa. Visa? Yeah. Visa.

Maybe these days of SolidWorks and AutoCAD the toil has lessened. I'd like some latter-day Mech Eng Udsm graduate to comment on this...

No comments: