Saturday, April 30, 2011

Gone too soon...


Agnes Shirima, January 1, 1982 - April 21, 2011

I usually don't like addressing the dead persons in second person tense like we usually see done in papers and speeches, because I am doubtful they can hear or read. I, however would like to tell, document, blog, post about them so that people can get to hear about them. Agi was a wonderful girl, simple, friendly, beautiful, good-natured. If she ever behaved otherwise, it was nowhere near my presence. I coined a name for her, "Mtoto wa Kizungu" from her habit of smiling whenever I talked to her, or whenever our eyes met-a behaviour usually found with white girls, maybe from their upbringing.

Some may forget her, but I'll never forget her. To me Agi ranks high among friends, and her abrupt demise (from malaria, of all diseases) was a shock to me.

No comments: