Saturday, May 15, 2010

Jessica Watson, Kudos! And just 17

Single-handedly, she battled her way all the way around the globe until, literally, she tied a belt on its girth. When I read the news of her sailing back into her home port where the adventure began, I was overwhelmed. Got to think, what inspired her? It then occurred to me how possible a person may change from a plain and simple person to outstanding icon in a space of a few months. We've heard of childhood stardom in sports, music and movies. These are mostly regarded as inborn talents one is stirred to by being egged on by those surrounding one, such as parents.
Wikipedia have already updated Ms Watson entry, of course. There I learned that there were many individuals and associations who were criticizing the feat. Humbug! Some say she's under 18 so she shouldn't have made the daring sailing in the first place. Well, she did, and at a few places battled rough seas, but managed to pull through to the pink-carpet treatment back home. 17 is young? If numbers were a measure of performance, then a thousand-limb milliped would be the fastest organism on land.
I'm eagerly waiting for her book to come out so that I can buy it for myself and some young girls for inspiration.

No comments: