Thursday, September 04, 2008

Chrome - yet another browser, but from Google, no less...

I've come to be so accustomed to Mozilla's Firefox browser to the point I'd thought, hey, this is an ultimate browser. I've gone around preaching it to colleagues and cybercafe owners, carried installation file in my thumb drive for anyone to make use of.
It was therefore with surprise when I heard that google were rolling out their own browser. Now Google have rolled out many products, they are all outstanding--from SketchUp to Picasa to Gmail etc. With a browser to keep up with their record of producing winners, I started feeling sad that I'd have to move on and leave the browser I'd grown to like.
I downloaded and installed Chrome beta for feel. Immediately I knew I'll keep on with Firefox, at least for the time being--here are my reasons:
  1. Chrome could not be installed on Windows 2000 and earlier versions. Now, my favourite OS is Win2K. Firefox could install even on Win98, tab browsing and all. In a typical Third World locale like Tanzania, we still have loads of PIIs and PIIIs running Win98SE and Win2K, therefore it is a serious observation.
  2. My PC has this necklace of RSS feeds bookmarks that I regularly scour during my typical of workday (Google News, BBC News, Channel Register, My blog etc). I didn't see an obvious way of placing live bookmarks on Chrome.
  3. Mozilla has sooo many supporters, these over time have developed ingenious addons and extensions making life quite easy. With Chrome it is going to take a while coming to that.
Recently on this blog I was critical of Cuil search engine that was out to challenge Google. I hope to find more reasons to prefer chrome, but maybe that's the way life goes, some things have to be dropped over time. Like when I had to scrap my tiny notebook, Compaq Contura Aero 486 on the day I installed Chrome 9/4, 2008: that will be the subject of another post.

No comments: